Sunday 20 July 2008

Time to confess!



Time to confess I was tempted by the sales! For ages I have wanted/needed a more suitable coat for dog walking. I have a lovely thick and warm coat bought for only £10 in Wales some 7 years ago, it has done its duty, kept me warm and dry but sometimes a little too warm. I have hankered after one of those coats with a zip in/out fleece that was more adaptable to our varying weather conditions. Regatta have some lovely versions including one with so many pockets for doggy treats, balls to fetch, doggy doo bags, whistle etc., the sleeves of the fleece can be anchored in with poppers so the jacket is easy to take off and there is a zip away hood for the inevitable rain that always seems to start when you are far away from shelter. This one is normally £75 but I found it at £35 and couldn't resist! While at the retail outlet we also found the pale blue mules in cotton traders reduced from £25 to £5 and super comfortable too, 2 t shirts reduced to £4 and £3 and some cotton hankies for £3 in Marks and Spencers. Mr C also found some shirts and ties for work at only £6.99 and some trousers for £9.50. So yesterday was very much a spend day! We do try to buy from charity shops when we can but have found the prices there are getting higher and in some cases (with t shirts) items seem to cost more than for new!

3 comments:

Sharon J said...

The jacket sounds like it's just the ticket, Catz. And after all, frugality isn't about having nothing, it's about being careful and only having what you need and I'd say you needed this.

I could also do with a new jacket of this type as my old one's a size 18 which, on my size 12 frame, looks a tad ridiculous. Still, it'll have to do until I can fit a new one into my budget. There are other things I need first.

Catz said...

I'm finding it pays to have a clear idea of what you honestly need and then to be on the look out for bargains either in the sales, charity shops or car boots. I also have found that shops in those motorway stops are pretty good, I have a lovely warm winter parka, bought on a stop on the M4, which only cost £10, too warm for dog walking though! Good luck with finding a jacket for yourself.

ramtops said...

I bought something very similar at TK Maxx a few weeks ago for £19.99! I wasn't terribly struck on the colours - red with a navy fleece - but it was nice and cheap, and exactly what I needed.

Mine has a zip rather than poppers, so I'm envious :)