Friday 18 July 2008

Lemon Kisses


My daughters favourite biscuits are lemon Kisses from the Jif lemon cook book. I have mislaid the book but luckily still have the recipe for these. The dough is very forgiving and can be rolled out several times. Very good for cooking with children, I used this recipe many times when I worked at the creche.
Lemon Kisses
ingredients:-
4 oz (100g) butter or margarine
3oz (75g) caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp lemon juice
8 oz (200g) plain flour
method:-
Cream the butter and sugar.
Beat in the egg with the lemon juice.
Fold in the flour and form into a soft dough.
Roll out the dough on a floured board and cut into shapes.
Bake for 10 - 15 minutes at 375F/190C/Gas mark 5
Leave until cool and then ice and decorate. We make a glace icing using lemon juice instead of water and it is delicious!
I am going to make some more of these next week when daughter is here, she needs a bit of spoiling as she hasn't been very well recently. She had a scan yesterday and all is ok and treatable thank goodness! I also had an all is ok result appointment at the drs so plenty of reasons to celebrate, which we did, Mr C took us both out for dinner! £30 spent as we just had main courses and a drink and that came from our entertainment/fun/treats allowance so the housekeeping budget remained untouched for another day! I spent £3 at the charity book stall at our local MS centre so out of £35 for charity spends I have £28 left (£4 goes out every month to local childrens hospice) I now have 4 more Agatha Christie paperbacks to add to my collection, I find them great to read when I am having trouble sleeping. I also found some ladybird books for my "friends grandchildrens fun box" and 2 very good condition Lilian Harry books for a friend of mine who is chronically ill and unable to get out and about. I can't count yesterday as a "no spend day" but there is nothing spent that makes me feel guilty either, a good day!

3 comments:

arkonite_babe said...

Nice recipe! This will be one for me to try this weekend as I have a lemon that needs using up. Could you put some finely grated zest in as well?

Sharon J said...

No need to feel guilty about your spends, that's for sure. It's not as being frugal is synonymous with never having anything, after all.

Catz said...

Hi AB!

Yes I have added lemon zest into the cookie dough and it is delicious. It's not mentioned in the Jif recipe book as they are hoping you would use some of their product instead :) but I prefer to use a fresh unwaxed lemon if I can.

Hi Sharon! the way I see it is to kind of split up my spends into good and bad ones so yesterdays spends were good ones!
Quality time with my family and some money for a very good local charity.