Monday 28 July 2008

Staying cool in the summer


It is so very hot today and it would be so very tempting to go out to B & Q and purchase an air conditioning unit but I can't really afford to buy or run it and they are not really environmentally friendly. I need to try some alternatives!

The idea is to cut down on the sources of heat and to get rid of the heat that has already built up inside the home.

Fans: a ceiling fan can make a room feel a few degrees cooler and they are cheaper to run than an air conditioning unit. We have one of these in the conservatory other than that we have portable fans which are also very good as even air movement of 1 mph can help you to feel a few degrees cooler. Open windows on opposite sides of the house and use the fan to pull the air through. Failing that I can always dig out that souvenir fan from our last Spanish holiday!

Curtains and blinds: white curtains or blinds to reflect heat away from the house would be best, we have cream so almost as good. As the sun moves around the house covering those windows facing the sun will help to keep the suns heat out and enable the fans to work more efficiently. You could place wet sheets over the windows and let the breeze blowing through evaporating the water cool you down.

Cut down internal heat: Remember the common sources of internal heat are from appliances
such as the computer, television and other electrical appliances. Also lighting, replacing bulbs with compact fluorescents can cut the energy and heat used dramatically. Try to avoid ironing and cooking during the warmest part of the day (I don't need to be told that one twice!)

Re-hydrate: a lovely cool shower is very refreshing, keep some cold water in a spritz bottle and use that every now and then. Drink plenty of water, I keep a thermos of chilled water with me most of the time and plenty more in the fridge, try not to keep sticking your head into the fridge though as nice though this is it will make the fridge overwork and of course send out more heat into your home. Eat foods with a higher moisture content like salads, fruits, vegetables and of course ice cream! Wring out a clean flannel in cold water and keep it near by to cool off your face.

Cook outside - any excuse for a barbie! this will stop your kitchen getting even hotter and maybe someone else will volunteer to do the cooking (well you can live in hope)

Open Windows: Opening your windows in the coolness of the morning and evening can help keep your house at a more reasonable temperature. Night-time temperatures tend to drop considerably from those in the daytime, so take advantage of it, and let nature keep your house cool.

Now to put it all into action! Our puppy loves eating ice cubes to cool off, might give that a try myself!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny, I wrote about the same thing this am!
I love your ice cube tray!

Catz said...

I think we are all thinking of ways to cool down at the moment! Far too hot for me! The ice cube tray I have borrowed from my daughter, I think she bought it from Ikea.

Sharon J said...

Great post, Catz.

I've been eating water melon until it's almost come out of my ears - very refreshing. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually re-hydrate me though (can't absorb fluids).

The ice-cubes have been disappearing quicker than I can refreeze them. I also have an Ikea ice-cube tray, only mine's in the shape of tiny bottles. I think I prefer the hearts though.

Catz said...

Mmmm! Water melon sounds delish!

We also have a fish shaped ice cube mould, great fun to use orange juice to fill it with and then pop into glasses of lemonade - looks like goldfish in your drink!