Monday 7 July 2008

3 years ago today

3 years ago today we were lucky, very lucky indeed. Both my children live and work in London but on 7/7 3 years ago my son was on holiday in Spain and my daughter had just come home to prepare for her graduation.

I and many others like me will never forget that day, the horror on realising that the "power outage" the media were reporting was obviously much more serious and the painful task of waking my daughter to tell her what was happening. Although she didn't graduate until the next day, many of her friends were graduating that day and were travelling across the city to get to the venue. With the phone networks on overload it was an impossible task to check everyone was ok. My sons phone was working ok out in spain and as he hadn't seen the news he was very puzzled about the many text messages he was receiving to check if he was ok.

The following day, with my daughters graduation going ahead (the university said they would never let terrorism win) we like many others decided to drive into the city. Another day I shall never forget, people still in shock but all determined to carry on with their lives, the blitz spirit lives on in London!

We were very lucky that day and so were my son and daughters friends but many were not, you are all in my prayers and will not be forgotten.

2 comments:

Sharon J said...

Is it really three years ago already? I can remember being worryied that my friend might have been caught up in that lot as she worked close to Aldgate station at the time but luckily, she wasn't. She had to walk home from work that night, though. A long, slow and tiring trek but at least she was alive and unhurt.

Catz said...

Thank goodness your friend was ok Sharon! It was indeed a very worrying time for many.