Wednesday 16 July 2008

Everythings growing in the garden!




Even the Cockapoo! I guess at 13 months she won't be a puppy for much longer, try telling her that though! She is so full of fun and loves to play fetch, we alternate between pulling up a weed and throwing a ball!

We didn't get an organic veg box delivery today, either they messed up or I ticked the wrong box probably the latter! Never mind we saved £12.80 and have enough fruit and veg in the freezer plus things are starting to grow in the garden and some of these things are edible, including some green peppers - yum! the rhubarb has gone mad, the courgettes are giving me a couple every other day and I am picking about half a dozen tomatoes a day. We are raw beginners though as you can probably see from the photos, more luck than judgement but we are learning. Hopefully next year we will have the main vegetable garden up and running.

Another no spend day and I have saved(rescued) 6 sweet potatoes from the bin which are about to be made into soup using Arkonites recipe. I had to throw 1 away though as it was beyond help, must make sure to remove produce from any plastic packaging as it doesn't keep so well, I normally use old flour bags to store potatoes in and that works really well.
My grocery challenge (www.moneysavingexpert.com old style board is brilliant for support for this challenge) this month is to stick to £150.00 for the month - so far £82 spent so £68 for the rest of the month and I haven't started on the lentils yet! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to have found your blog, what a wonderful garden you have! I too do no spend days, gave myself a target of 18 in July...doing well so far :0)

Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

Sharon J said...

I also have no spend days - my target's to not spend anything on at least half of the days in each month although I can see that go straight out of the window now that I have Lise and her fella staying for a fortnight. Still, there's nothing wrong with making exceptions sometimes.

Can I ask how many of you are fed for £150 a month? It's just interesting to compare. There are two of us here and I usually spend around the same amount but always think that's too much and I ought to be doing better.

Catz said...

hello Frugtal!

18 no spend days wow! Not so sure I could manage that but it is something to aim for. I am enjoying your blog too!

Sharon £150 is to feed 2 + 1 boomeranging daughter and a cockapoo! I would love to be able to cut it down by more but still want to eat as organically as possible. I agree with you about making exceptions we have just had a day where it was essential we did just that!