Thursday 24 July 2008

A fridge too far?



I am going to be brave here and show you what I hope is beginning to look more like a pennypinchers fridge!

Top shelf is soya marge, pro active spread (my bp has been a tad high so I am being careful) butter in the pyrex dish and cheese in the arcopal dishes.

Middle shelf - yellow stickered reduced price wheat free bread, home made yogurt in the mason cash bowl (sorry about the cling film - have another roll to use up yet) the small jar of mint sauce and the leftover cucumber (plus more cucumber in the other fridge) mean I can make tzatziki salad, various part used jars of preserves,

Bottom shelf - blue and white container with hm choc crispy cakes (using up cheap cornflakes, cooking choc and nearly past it dry fruits), floral dish with lid has 2 huge Costco mince pies in defrosting, found when sorting out the larder freezer, I am quite mean with these and cut them into 4 so we aren't too greedy! They are yummy though! The tin foil is covering some corned beef left over from Mr C's sandwiches and will make a lunch for me, the stainless steel thermos has chilled water in and goes out with me every trip - I can only guess at how much money that has saved me on buying bottled water when out and about but I am sure it has paid for itself. A part used box of soya milk because at my age it is meant to be good for me :) Has anybody tried freezing soya milk? I have failed with freezing soya yogurt - it separates! :( behind are yet more part used sauces and preserves including last years blackberry preserve (really easy recipe).

Painful joints mean I find the bottom draws are hard to reach, I cannot bend too easily and if I get down on the floor I have problems getting up again! So only infrequently used preserves and sauces go in there.

Plenty of room for improvement, I could do with controlling the amount of preserves that are open at any one time, but I am getting there, I am lucky enough to have a 2nd fridge in the utility room which is handy when I have all the family down, this is used for storing meat (bottomshelf), fruit and vegetables (middle shelf), and any taller stuff on the roomier top shelf, I need to work on this one. Instead of 2 individual fridges I would have loved to have had one of those super american huge fridges but our kitchen is too tiny!

I dislike the rigidity of menu planning but can see that it would save us a lot of pennies so I am off to make another of my lists!

Tonight will be a spending night as we are eating out with friends - Mr C's treat (from his entertainment budget) so I only have to worry about lunch!

1 comment:

Sharon J said...

I have trouble getting stuff out of low cupboards and the bottom of the fridge/freezer so I sympathise with you on the fridge problem.

My fridge is bursting at the seams with guests being in the house at the moment and I've totally lost track of what's been used and what hasn't because apart from me, nobody ever bothers to update the list. Another job I'll have to do when they've left. And there's me trying to keep things simple! HA!

I'd love an extra freezer but with two fridges in the kitchen already (one only ever houses my tpn feed and meds), there just isn't room in my tiny house. Oh well... shouldn't grumble, my mum managed without one for donkey's years so I'm sure I'll manage fine with just the one.