Friday 25 July 2008

Keeping warm this winter!


Seems an unusual thing to be worrying about in the middle of a summer heatwave but with the recent hike in fuel prices, heating the home and eating reasonably well are not going to be so easy anymore.
We have Gas central heating, a gas fire in the lounge, under floor electric heating in the conservatory and a small ceramic portable heater so no cheap heating options there. We could get a quote on moving the gas fire and putting in a wood burner but I think it could cost quite a bit with re lining etc.,
In the meantime I am investing in hot water bottles, beanbag warmers (easy to make with dry rice in an old "clean" sock tied at the end, and hand warmers, some warmer clothes while they are cheap, cardigans, jumpers, warm socks, hats, gloves etc., also blankets and lap quilts. Now won't we look chic sitting in the lounge wrapped in a blanket or shawl with fluffy socks on our feet and wooly hats on our heads. Of course we could just go to bed early! :) This could explain the grandparents large families!

5 comments:

Sharon J said...

You've just given me some ideas for Christmas pressies. Thank you :)

My daughter keeps asking whether I've started knitting her socks yet ready for when she moves to Norway (very cold winters) - alas, I am not being very efficient on that front. Bad mother [hangs head in shame].

tattycath said...

What a brilliant idea, I would never have thought of putting rice in socks for beanbag warmers.
Yes I see what you mean about large families, My dad was one of 9(but 2 died in infancy, my mum is the eldest of 6. and I am the youngest of 5. I only have 2 kids (we discovered the tv :) )
We never had central heating when I was a child and when it was really cold on a night time we used to have 3 old coats hung on the back of the door in our bedroom and we used to throw them on the beds to help keep us warm.
Love the hot water bottle by the way!!!

Catz said...

Sharon glad to have helped! How many days to Christmas? lol! You are very definately not a bad mother! Wish I could knit socks!

Hello tattycath! Good to see you over here. The terry toweling socks work the best, I am debating dyeing a few of them in the washing machine with a few tops that need dyeing (spilt bleach on them) then I could make pretty bean/rice bags!

Sharon J said...

If you can knit, you can knit socks, Catz. Honest. They're nowhere near as difficult as you'd think - it's just a matter of mastering the four needle technique (which is also much easier than it looks).

There's an award waiting for you on my blog, btw.

Catz said...

Hi Sharon! Wow! an award? thank you so much though I am sure I don't deserve it. Must think who to send it on to....

I have a couple of sets of "4 double pointy knitting needles" so will wait for the cooler weather and give it a go!