Sunday 13 July 2008

A cunning plan is forming!




My main aim at the moment is to save enough money to start to pay down our mortgage before retirement. Unfortunately I have had to call it a day on my part time job as the stress and physical lifting etc., were causing more cfs episodes so I will not be going back next term. It was very part time so the wage (£130 a month) was not very much but it does mean that I will have to find more ways to save now! Hopefully I will start to regain the energy to do what needs to be done and that means more to us. So far I have stopped my gym membership £50 as I wasn't really well enough to use it, walking the dog and a small amount of gardening will now be my gym, and I have cut down on our abel and cole order so we now get an organic delivery once a fortnight so that has saved another £25 so £55 to find a month! Then I must find some more pennies to put towards the paying down the mortgage fund! Not too much pressure then!!!

I already feel a lot better for making the decision and am eternally grateful to have such a supportive husband, now to get organised on the rest! I think a spending diary would help and maybe a plan to "use it up" before buying anew with relation to food and household goods. I allow 10% of my funds for charity and some of that can be spent in charity shops so finding Christmas and birthday gifts there will be my aim. Maybe I can sell some of our "clutter" on amazon and ebay? I sense a huge learning curve coming my way.

2 comments:

Sharon J said...

Good to see you posting again, Catz :)

You know, when I first got serious about paying off my debts and saving for my kitchen, I had no idea how I was going to do it but it's amazing how many little things can be cut back on. And having a piggy bank definitely helps :)

I found myself spending far more on groceries when I became ill and no longer able to keep up with my list and now that I've sorted everything again and relisted the contents of my pantry (it's the freezer's turn today) I'm amazed at how much I've doubled, trebled and even quadrupled up on.

Sorry to hear you've had to give up your job but your health must come first. At least it's easier on people like us who don't have such high material demands - it must really knock the big spenders for six when it happens to them!

Catz said...

Hi Sharon

Yes it is when you are ill that it all goes so wrong! I just used to get Mr C to go out to the shops with a list and never checked what we already had in (was too exhausted) so the cupboards are full and it all needs using up, which should help with reducing the bills for a while though!
I am very impressed with your organised pantry, well done!