Tuesday 22 July 2008

Home made yogurt



Hooray it worked! I used to make yogurt on a regular basis when I had the time and energy so thought as it was a regular buy that I would try again. Out came my trusty wide necked thermos (50p at a charity shop) and with it my dog eared copy of "Shirley Goode - The Goode Kitchen" cook book. This recipe makes up 1 pint of lovely creamy yogurt.
Home made yogurt (Shirley Goode recipe)
Ingredients:-
1 pint (570ml) milk
1 tablespoon dried milk powder
2 heaped teaspoons bought natural yogurt (I used Yeo Valley organic) remember to take it out of the fridge well in advance to take the chill off it.
Method:-
Heat the milk to boiling point and boil for 1 minute, remove from heat. Cool slightly and stir in the dried milk powder.
Cool to 100F very slightly above blood heat (blood heat is where it feels neither hot nor cold so just above that) Put the yogurt in a warm basin and add a little of the warm milk and blend together. Add the rest of the milk and stir well.
Pour into the thermos, cover and keep in a warm place (I left mine on the kitchen worktop) and leave for about 8 hours (overnight). Once the yogurt has set place into a bowl and keep in the fridge.
We like to serve ours with some home made fruit jam stirred in, turns into that fab pudding "Eton Mess" by adding a little crushed meringue (I make micro meringues if I have a spare egg white - great fun).
Cost to make 30p (max) for 1 pint natural yogurt using mostly organic ingredients.

2 comments:

Sharon J said...

How odd that you should need yogurt to make yogurt. I'd like to say I'll give it a try but I doubt I ever will. When my energy's up there are just too many other things to do.

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful, I wonder if soya products would work?