Thursday 26 June 2008

Riches that really matter




Sharon from finding simplicity has written a lovely post listing her "riches that really matter" and has asked me to do the same. At first I thought I would struggle but then found it difficult to stop, this is what I came up with after just a few minutes. Interestingly the more material things seem to pale into insignificance.

Sharing this life with Mr C

Knowing I am one of the first my children phone when they have good news

Ditto when they have bad news as even though it may be sad it means they trust me

Playing fetch with our playful puppy

Cuddles from same calmer puppy

Getting an "all clear" result from drs

Being cosy inside during a thunderstorm

The sound of rain on the conservatory roof

Egg and tomato sandwiches, egg custard tart and chocolate cake (mum's favourite tea both my sister and I still see this as comfort food)

Fishfingers, mash and peas (more comfort food)

Feeding the ducks

Sitting by a river watching the world go by

Paddling in rock pools

Being the first to tramp a path through crispy new laid snow

A field of daffodils

Trees

Decorating the Christmas tree with totally mismatched decorations collected over the years that mean so much to our family

The memories and watching the video of our cats 5 kittens (many years ago now)

Cuddling a new and freshly bathed and talcum powdered baby

My Mum's little aluminum "tea for one" teapot because it reminds me of Mum

A tray of tea and biscuits shared with a friend

A walk in the woods

Sitting by a fountain

Working in the garden and soaking up the sun

Birdsong

Picking the first runner beans of the season and each harvest afterwards

Watching a dragon fly flit across a pond

New baked bread

Cinnamon and spiced cookies baking

Bargain hunting at Car boot sales and charity shops

Making something and feeling the sense of achievement

Seeing happiness in my family and friends

Curling up with a good book (and some chocolate)

Having the time to smell the roses


I could happily go on adding more and more of lifes riches!
I wonder what your list would be?

1 comment:

Sharon J said...

Sitting by a fountain! Yes, that's definitely one of life's pleasures.

I think we all need to stop and remind ourselves of the riches we really have in life sometimes because they're so easily forgotten, aren't they? I think even those of us who have 'seen the light', so to speak, tend to get bogged down by consumerism at times, not necessarily because we're part of it but just because it's the lifeforce of our economical system and doesn't promote the kind of values that really matter.