Tuesday 10 June 2008

Awash with plastic







I bagged another piece of pyrex yesterday from the charity shop, it had some burnt on marks around the side but these have lifted off in the dishwasher. It has a lid which, although not a perfect fit, will cover the lobster patterned dish I rescued on sunday from an unwanted "stuff"
pile.

The top photo shows I have been reading my dog eared copy of "Tightwad Gazette" and wash out my "baggies" ready for re-use, including some of the super lakeland "stay fresh" bags (next to the bag of soapnuts) which really do work.

I do feel though that we are becoming a bit too dependant on plastic, we probably all have some tupperware in our cupboards and freezers and they certainly do stand up to the test of time, but I do worry that so much plastic around our foods may not be such a good thing, chemicals can leech from the plastics and when the item is no longer required or good for it's intended use it goes into the landfills and causes problems there. Plastic bags can only be washed and re-used so many times (not at all if wrapped around raw meat) this adds to the cost. I need to look into the alternatives. Tupperware was just coming out when I was a child and I do fondly remember the pastel coloured tumbers for our squash, but other than that there wasn't a lot of plastic in the kitchen. Food like sandwiches and cheese were wrapped in greaseproof paper or brown paper bags, cakes were mixed in earthenware or glass bowls and casseroles were cooked in pottery casseroles or pyrex. Maybe a trip back in time would be better for our health and wealth. Any excuse to add to my pyrex collection.!

2 comments:

Sharon J said...

We've definately become a plastic dependent society. Even though I try my hardest to be more 'green', I still find myself dependent on it to a certain extent, especially for food storage. I do re-use as much as possible, though.

Your pyrex things remind me of my younger days. I shall never look at pyrex again now without thinking of you and your collection.

Catz said...

Hi Sharon!

Yes it will be hard and I don't think I will be able to give up using the tupperware! I will stop buying the cling film and baggies though. The old pyrex reminds me of times gone by too, probably why I love it so much!