Sunday 21 September 2008

Thank goodness for soup!



Very easy to make and cheap too especially if most of the ingredients have come from the garden! The sweet potatoes and onions are from the veg delivery but the courgette, white potatoes and runner beans are from the veg garden.

I used to follow a recipe in order to make soup but now I have the gist of it I just judge if I have enough vegetables, peel and chop into chunks and throw into the slow cooker with about 1 and 1/2 pints of home made stock and some seasoning. Once all is tender I strain the veg with a little of the stock into the food processor and blitz until smooth. Then into a large saucepan and add the rest of the stock stirring well. Add a knob of butter and stir until melted and season to taste. A dash of milk later and you have cream of vegetable soup.



I added some cooked chicken to this batch and it was very soothing and comforting which was just as well as Mr C has sucumbed to the latest flu type bug that is doing the rounds. Even in the latest bit of sunshine he has been shivering under a quilt and is back sleeping it off in bed. fingers crossed the bug doesn't get me! I have been trying to keep up with the laundry just in case!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh it looks soo yummy! Perhaps the best part of autumn, after the leaves, is soup!

Sharon J said...

I've never been a fan of soup but have decided to give it more of a chance this year because, as you say, it makes a cheap and simple to prepare meal.

Hope Mr C soon gets better and that the bug steers clear of you.

Catz said...

Oh I love soup! Just as well as Mr C has very kindly shared his bug and I am feeling yuk! :(