Monday 15 September 2008

Charity shop haul



Just thought that I should show you the result of Saturdays charity shop expedition. The lace jacket (to cover up the tops of my arms where age has definately taken it's toll, when I wear a sleeveless dress) it cost me £4 at the Help the Aged charity shop and I love it. The video "Miracle on 34th Street" a Christmas favourite 49p and the Mary Jane Staples paperbacks £1 each also from Help the Aged. The football books are a present for my son and cost £5 from our RSPCA charity shop. The purse and Tenko club paperback £1 from our Hospice shop. The butterfly coasters, which look great in the conservatory £1 and the candlestick £1 which will join the rest of my Christmas candlestick collection were found in the Cancer Research charity shop.



I found this amazing clock in the first shop for £3 and on getting it home we discovered that it plays various bird songs on each hour. This could get annoying later but we could take the batteries for the birdsongs out if that happens, in the meantime it is fun watching Penny trying to figure out where the noise is coming from! Even Mr C agreed that it looks good high up on the conservatory wall.


Total spend £19.49 - I put 10% of housekeeping and pocket money by into a charity shop fund so out of this month's £35, having already paid out on dd's to 2 local charities we support, I have £7.51 left to spend. Last month I had £27 left so will roll it all together (£34.51) and hope to get some bits for Christmas hampers next time.

5 comments:

Sharon J said...

Blimey - you did well. I haven't been charity shopping for ages (legs haven't been up to) but I really need to remedy that. There's nothing much that's quite as satisfying as rummaging around in charity shops (apart from visiting boot markets).

I love the lace top. Very nice. I used to have a beautiful black lace top that I wore over a black velvet dress. Alas both went to the charity shop a while back as they were a size 18 and I'm now a size 12.

Caroline said...

I love seeing other people's bargains - you did really well! I've been photographing my boot sale bargains each weekend and putting them on my blog, it inspires me to get up horribly early every Sunday morning when I think about all the great buys waiting for me! Keep writing - I love reading about your life. Best wishes - Caroline x

Anonymous said...

I like your way of thinking with your charity donations being your budget for some spending. I might borrow it!

I enjoy reading your blog, I can't remember whih blog I arrived from, but it might have been an MSE'ers.

Anonymous said...

You've got some nice finds there - especially the clock, it looks great on the conservatory wall.

Catz said...

@ Sharon - I would love to find a similar top in black! I shall keep looking.

@ Caroline - I also love to see what others find in the charity shops and car boot sales, so pleased to have found your blog!

@ Kirsty - Borrow away!lol I used to volunteer in a charity shop and although there are of course overheads to be met, most of the items for sale are donated for free so a lot of the sale money goes to the charity. So I can shop (within the allowed budget) and donate to charity at the same time. I have been doing this for years and try to cover household essentials, clothing and presents out of this budget if I can.

@ Elizabeth - I am really pleased with my finds this time!