Monday 6 April 2009

Use it up April update

Not a lot to report as we had family to stay over the weekend, which was wonderful. I did however discover that the potatoes in my sack from our local farmshop, were starting to sprout, so I set to and peeled my way through half of them, making sure there were absolutely no green bits left to upset anyones tummy, and cooked them up to make a mountain of mash potatoes! Enough for 4 meals in fact! 2 of which we have eaten, 1 for tonights meal and 1 for the freezer. I reckon that is at least £2 saved!

I have a couple of old pillows to do something with and am going to have a go at making 4 seat pads for our garden chairs. I have some old curtaining fabric to cover them with. It could take me a while to finish this project (alongside more fingerless mitts to knit) but I will post about this later.

Still saving up the loo roll inners for my runner beans!

Determined not to give easter eggs this year, as there is far too much unwarranted packaging, I have ordered some additive free freshly made fudge from a friend. The boxes are made from recyclable cardboard and are beautifully wrapped up ready to give, or can be posted direct for you. The fudge is delicious, very like my Mum used to make and comes in several different flavours. I found some chocolate in the cupboard, so may make up some little chocolate shapes as well.

Just adding a recipe for Lauradeanne for home made yogurt in a thermos
Home made yogurt (Shirley Goode recipe)
Ingredients:-
1 pint (570ml) milk
1 tablespoon dried milk powder
2 heaped teaspoons bought natural yogurt (I used Yeo Valley organic) remember to take it out of the fridge well in advance to take the chill off it.
Method:-
Heat the milk to boiling point and boil for 1 minute, remove from heat. Cool slightly and stir in the dried milk powder.
Cool to 100F very slightly above blood heat (blood heat is where it feels neither hot nor cold so just above that) Put the yogurt in a warm basin and add a little of the warm milk and blend together. Add the rest of the milk and stir well.
Pour into the thermos, cover and keep in a warm place (I left mine on the kitchen worktop) and leave for about 8 hours (overnight). Once the yogurt has set place into a bowl and keep in the fridge.
We like to serve ours with some home made fruit jam stirred in, turns into that fab pudding "Eton Mess" by adding a little crushed meringue (I make micro meringues if I have a spare egg white - great fun).
Cost to make 30p (max) for 1 pint natural yogurt using mostly organic ingredients.


Use it up savings - £2

5 comments:

Kadeeae said...

Catz - sorry to report I had to ditch potatoes as they were past saving :-(

But, have saved turkey that a while back would have been forgotten and binned, so happy about that - and I posted about your challenge too.

Freezing mash, is it at all watery when you defrost it? I've never frozen any, thought it wouldn't be any good!

Kadeeae said...

Hi again! :-)

I have a new url for my blog, if I asked nicely would you change it in your blogroll please? And thanks for including me!

It's now www.consumingtheharvest.me.uk

Lauradeanne said...

Hi, Catz,

I saw your post re: Cooking with Stanley on the Thrifty Living blog. I am interested in your recipe for making yoghurt in a thermos. Would you let me know? I eat lots of yoghurt and have thought of making my own but haven't wanted to invest in a kit... a thermos might work really well for me. Thanks so much and love your blog. I'm looking forward to reading more of it.

Catz said...

Hi Kadeeae! I've altered my blogroll and added your new address thank you! Yes you can freeze mash, just pop it into the microwave to defrost or let it defrost in the fridge slowly and then use to top pies etc., I believe you can buy it frozen!

Lauradeanne - I find the thermos way really easy, The method is on this blog so I shall go back to my latest post and add a link for you. Thank you for your lovely comment, most of the time I feel I am waffling on :)

Catz said...

Laura - For some reason I couldn't get the link to work so I have copied and pasted the recipe for you!