Sunday 26 April 2009

Effects of the credit crunch on pets.


From the RSPCA website:-
Now we’re seeing the animal victims of the credit crunch. Abandonments are steadily increasing and RSPCA Animal Centres are bursting at the seams. The need is very real, and very urgent.

For me this poem says it all,


Do I Go Back Home Today?
By Sandi Thompson


When my family first brought me to live within their home. They cuddled and they pampered me and groomed with brush and comb.

They played with me and laughed with me and showered me with toys. I sure do love my family, and all the tiny girls and boys.

The children loved to feed me; and give me special treats. They even let me sleep with them - all cozy in their sheets

I used to go for lovely walks, often several times a day. They even fought to hold my lead, I'm so very proud to say!

These are the things I'll not forget - a cherished memory. for now I'm in a shelter, bereft of family.

They used to laugh and praise me when I played with that old shoe. But I didn't know the difference between the old one and the new

The kids and I would grab a rag, and for hours we played tug. So I thought I did the right thing when I chewed that bedroom rug.

They said that I had lost control and would have to live outside. I didn't really understand this, though I really, really tried!

The walks they stopped one by one; they said they had no time. I wish that I could change things; I wish I knew my crime.

My life became so lonely shackled to a metal chain. I barked and barked continually I thought I'd go insane.

So they took me to the shelter but were embarrassed to say why. So they said I'd caused an allergy, then said their last goodbye.

If only I'd had training, as a tiny little pup. I wouldn't have been so hard to live with, when I was all grown up.

You only have one day left", I heard the kennel man say. Does that mean I have a second chance? "Do I go back home today"?



It must be terrible to be suffering so badly during this credit crunch that you have to give up your family pet and I feel for those who truly have no choice. For us Penny is our family and there are many, many other things I would rather give up in order to keep her. She is our friend, affectionate companion, playmate, toddler, responsibility, get fit buddy, sympathetic listener, adoring fan, door greeter, muddypaw print supplier, stranger alert system, crumb cleaner system, lap warmer, foot warmer, shadow, alarm clock, reason to be home promptly etc., etc., We adore her too!

Today while walking Penny we met a very happy young staffordshire pup who had a great time playing with Penny, her owner said they had only recently rescued her from a shelter, what a wonderful 2nd chance they had given her. I am more determined now that if/when we get a 2nd dog it will be a rescue dog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sad poem!

All of our dogs are rescue dogs.. I wouldn't have it any other way... and I'd be eating beans three times a day before I gave up my dogs... I just can't imagine how horrible it must be for people having to give their pets up because they can't afford them...

Sharon J said...

An eye-opening post, Catz.

Poppy and Jack are part of my family, just like your Penny, and things would have to be really dire before I'd consider giving them up due to lack of money. I've been on the bread line before (£40 a week to feed three children, a dog & cat and myself) but I didn't give the pets up. I gave up a lot, but not my babies. Sure, they got the cheapest food going, but so did me and the kids.

Caroline said...

So sad, Catz. I'm not a dog lover in any way, shape or form, but don't know how anybody can just abandon their pet - doesn't bear thinking about.