Thursday 2 April 2009

Rescued apples



Today I saved about 10 wrinkly apples from the bin! Carefully peeled and chopped and popped into my Mums old tower slowcooker, with water, brown sugar, sultanas and cinnamon added and left all day to cook. I now have 2 containers of spicy apple pie filling, not sure what that would cost to buy but the apples, being organic were around £2.40 and pie filling is not cheap, so I will count that as my saving - in the bad old days they would have been thrown!



As you can see the developers house building is sadly going ahead. Look how close to the neighbours fence the building is! Also how tiny the garden is! The leaves on the left hand side of the photo are from the tree at the bottom of their garden/my fence! I would want a lot more garden if I had half a million to spend.
Use it up challenge savings - £2.40

7 comments:

arkonite_babe said...

Cat, that is scary how little space there is round the house!!

Anonymous said...

Cat - well done!!! I'll have to think a lil harder, i think! as for ideas for the apple pie filling.. crumble? pie? with icecream? or with greek yoghurt? could even do it with porridge for breakfast...

Catz said...

@arkonite - it does make you wonder how they will be able to carry out any maintenance, especially that fence!

@kethry - oh love the idea of the greek yogurt - yum!

Elizabeth said...

Blimey, I don't think I've ever seen two properties quite so close together when they're detached. They make some of the squashed-in building around here look positively expansive.

sharie said...

A 'friend' of ours has got planning permission and is in the middle of building a bungalow next to his house. No word to a lie but its only a foot or two wider than a garage! Gawd knows how these people get planning permission for these squashed in houses.

Jennifer said...

Rhubarb is coming into season I believe (well its growing in my allotment right now, from the last owner) so why not make rhubarb / apple pie? Or buy some filo dough, cut into squares and make apple turnovers? Apple muffins? Apple crepes? Served straight up as it is with pork as a side dish?

I like your challenge, keep it up!

Caroline said...

You're right, Catz, if I was spending half a million, I would expect at the very least to be able to walk around the outside of my house!!