Tuesday 12 August 2008

Use it up stir fry


In my money spending days in order to make a stir fry for dinner I would have popped out to the local supermarket to buy a pack of pre shredded stir fry suitable vegetables costing at least £1, a couple of skinless chicken breasts £4, a packet of stir in sauce £1 and some noodles £1 making the meal cost about £7 - £8 shocking but cheaper I guess than a take away or eating out!

Last night (inspired by frugal trenches post here) I decided to have a go using what I already had in:-

from the fridge - left over chicken from the Sunday roast, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms (remains of last weeks shopping) some yoshidas gourmet sauce (1/4 bottle from Costcos left)

from the garden - spinach and courgettes

from vegetable basket - onions, garlic (from neighbours home grown)

from larder - chilli noodles (bought last week while on special offer - have 3 more packets left) and oil

One very filling tasty meal and no extra cost incurred (thank goodness) We had a bowl each of english strawberries for pudding. It is amazing just what can be cobbled together from what you already have! Tonight we have risotto using up some more of the lurking veg (butternut squash, onions, garlic, courgettes), chicken stock made from yesterdays chicken and some left over white wine followed by a fruit salad made from some of the frozen fruit in the freezer.

Grocery challenge spend so far £93 (£57 left for rest of month) yesterday was another no spend day - nsd 4/10

Just noticed from the photo that my cooker needs a clean!

4 comments:

Sharon J said...

Clever you! I really need to get a new wok. I had one but it seems to have disappeared (I swear we have 'borrowers' in this house).

Your cooker needs a clean? You ought to see mine! Oh well... one more job to be done, I suppose.

ramtops said...

It is amazing just what can be cobbled together from what you already have

My point exactly
Reactive Cooking

Anonymous said...

You are doing so well!!!
Well done you!!

Thanks for the mention :)

Catz said...

@ Sharon - think those borrowers visit here a lot too, that or we have a black hole where things go missing! :) I never did clean the cooker - got distracted again!

@ ramtops - yes I am finally getting it!lol!

@ Frugal trenches - Thank you for the encouragement! I'm getting there slowly but surely!