Sunday 3 August 2008

This weeks car boot bounty



We got there late (after midday) and the rain clouds were gathering so a lot of the sellers were packing up and leaving but there were still some diehards selling some bargains! The cd rack for Mr C's office 50p and the lovely lady gave us the 3 cd's for free and 1 is Simply red so I'm happy! The Ikea plant stand for the conservatory 50p, large tupperware container 50p, toys 20p each (1 for the puppy and 1 for the toybox) and the videos were only 10p each! includes Working girl - a favourite of mine, One fine day, The Associate, I Claudius part 1 & 2 and Monty Python vol 10 so more money saved by not going anywhere near blockbusters! It was a bit of a trolley dash which isn't my favoured way of car booting but at least I got my fix! Total spend £2.40 no entrance fee as we arrived so late!

The other photo shows the fruit and veg we bought as it all looked so good. 2lbs cherries, 2lbs strawberries, 2 bunches of asparagus, 1 huge cucumber and 2 melons which smell delicious. This did cost £8 but I am cancelling this weeks box delivery until next week as we have so much coming in from the garden and plenty of free range eggs, so £2.90 saved. Some of the cucumber will be used with the rest of the home made yogurt, some garlic and some mint sauce to make tzatziki . We will have some of the asparagus with tonight's Remoska roast chicken dinner and put the rest into the freezer. Some of the fruit is destined for the freezer to make the most of the treat and some will become a big fruit platter to munch on now!

3 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

there is nothing better than home grown produce......

You have a great blog, lots of interesting things on it.

Gill orginally from Britain, now living in Canada

Sharon J said...

I'm ashamed to say that I let 3 punnets of strawberries go soft and nasty recently. What a waste! And I missed out on my strawberry hit :(

I bought some lovely new potatoes at a roadside stall on Saturday that a friend and I had for dinner that evening. I also got 2 oranges, a kohlrabi, a huge mushroom and a bunch of spring onions all for £2.50. I went home a happy bunny :)

Catz said...

Thank you Gill! yes it is lovely to be able to make a meal using garden produce.

@ Sharon - what a shame about the strawberries! Must admit that has happened here in the past, now if I think we won't eat them in time they are put into the freezer. You did well at that roadside stall.