Wednesday 20 August 2008

Aunty Beryl's Chutney Recipe


After 3 weeks without a delivery I'm pleased with the contents of this weeks organic box delivery, a lovely looking cabbage, mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, couple of little gem letuces, plums, apples and some delicious clementines. Now to menu plan!




I still have courgettes to use, the one at the back is an example of what happens to a courgette if you don't get to it in time, I have a few more like that one, might be making some of my Auntie Beryl's famous (well famous to our family) chutney! Her recipe is really easy and can be used for most fruit and vegetable gluts:-

Aunty Beryl's Chutney recipe

3lbs apples or any other fruit/vegetables (plums, marrows, tomatoes etc)
3/4 pint vinegar
1/2 lb chopped onions
grated rind of an orange or lemon
1 dessertspoon each of ginger, curry powder and mixed spice

Prepare (peel if necessary and cube) fruit/vegetable and simmer with other ingredients until tender.

Then add 1/4 lb sultanas and 1lb sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick. Pot in the usual way.

This is lovely with cheese and ham.

The organic box delivery with the eggs came to £12.85 so total left in the grocery challenge is £24.15 to last until the end of the month and we have visitors next weekend! yikes! Luckily Mr C is taking us all out for a meal to celebrate my birthday so that is one day taken care of!

4 comments:

Sharon J said...

I must try the chutney recipe. I've already copied and saved it so now I just need to wait until somebody offers me a share of their apples (a friend did mention some the other day so there's hope).

Sharon J said...

Sorry... forgot to ask: how long does it keep and how should you store it. Fridge or cupboard?

Catz said...

Hi Sharon! Yum apple chutney! The chutney keeps for ages, mine is on a shelf in my preserve cupboard.

Sharon J said...

Thanks. I can hardly wait to try it :)