Sunday 10 August 2008

Taking stock!



I have been away from my blog for a few days, exciting things happening for the family- my son had his first book published and it is on the shelves in our local bookstore! One very proud Mum here!
Well back at the homestead and back to reality, I need to do a stocktake. Why is it that I can never get to the bottom of our chest freezer? I do try to use up what is in there but one thing leads to another, I cook a chicken and then make chicken stock, some of which has to be frozen! Leftovers which cannot be used right away get wrapped up and put into the freezer, I automatically make meals for 4 so that I can freeze half for a couple of ready meals for when I have no energy due to booming and busting (cfs term). Add to this the fact that we are awash with courgettes, tomatoes and a few runner beans all needing to be frozen down and I feel I am attempting the impossible! I need to get organised and fast! I truly am doing very little in the way of shopping - £75 the first week, £18 this week and no organic box deliveries so it should start to have an impact on that darned freezer! :)
Mind you I do count myself very blessed that I have more than enough food at the moment rather than not enough. It is my dislike of waste that is causing this problem!
I found a bag full of frozen blackberries from last summer, a large bag of sugar, a bit of work and I should be able to make some blackberry preserve this week. No need to buy any jam then! I shall now avoid buying anything if I have the ingredients to make it at home.
This could apply to other items around the house as well, I would like more cotton hankies - instead of buying them I have a pair of pretty "Elizabeth Emmanual" pyjama trousers (seam ripped) which could be cut up and made into several pretty hankies. Now where is that sewing machine..........
Thursday was another no spend day - nsd 3/10

5 comments:

Sharon J said...

Congratulations on your son's book, proud mamma :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your son having his book published - what a wonderful achievement.

Catz said...

Many thanks, I will pass on the congratulations to him, it is about football I am afraid but very readable for all that :)

Anonymous said...

OOh congratulations about your son's book! How fab!!!

Well done on the spending re groceries too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! what a great achievement for your son...fantastic news!!

I love cotton hankies, so much nicer than paper tissues and what a good idea to use your old pyjamas to make some more, no-one will ever know!!

Jane