Sunday 11 January 2009

Free Meals! well almost!






A couple of days ago I made a "leftovers" frittata using cooked sliced sausages, mushrooms that were fading rapidly, onions (similarily wilting) and some eggs that were periously close to their use by date. Cooked in my smaller frying pan I managed to use the Remoska lid to set the top. Served up with a winter salad made from grated carrots, beetroot, red onion slices, tomatoes and cucumber - all that needed using up, with lemon juice squeezed over the top, it was a surprisingly good and cheap meal.



I am so very pleased I visited Shirley Goodes blog last year! She advised freezing down some of the Christmas meat for easy dinners later on. I got carried away and froze stuffing, sausages, yorksire pud, parsnips, spuds, veg and even gravy! Today, still not feeling too well, all I had to do was look in the freezer and get the food out to defrost. A few hours later we sat down to a lovely roast beef sunday dinner. I am now freezing everything I can rather than waste it. Trouble is I may never get the freezers empty enough to defrost! :) Even the smallest of bread crusts goes in.

4 comments:

Sharon J said...

That salad looks smashing. I love the way you've laid it out instead of bunging it all in a bowl.

If only I had a bigger freezer (there I go, wanting stuff again!)

Jennifer said...

She's great isn't she? I've tried using 'packet sauces' for the first time tonight because of her! ahahahahhaha Asda have their own brand 4 for a £1 so banged in some frozen defrosted stewing veg, some stewing steak and a packet of I don't know, bourginon or something and a pint of water and threw on the slow cooker and my god it was the best stew I'd ever had! ;D

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

That salad looks divine!

sharie said...

That looks very tasty.
My mother was a great one for making something out of 'nothing' looks like you have the same talent!
Having had an attack of the 'spending bug' recently I have a feeling I'm going to be visiting your blog for some ideas on belt tightening!