Friday 16 January 2009

De-clutter bug









I've got the de-clutter bug and it hurts! I ache all over but am pressing on, pacing as I go but I now have a clear and tidier larder, I have been brave and am showing you photos (believe me it was a lot worse than it is now) I can find things now! :) also de cluttered the dresser, chest of drawers x 2, bedside draws x 2 and am still raring to go!

The thought ocurred to me that if I didn't get it sorted and anything happens to Mr C and I, then it would be our grown up children who would have to sort it all out and that just wouldn't be fair. It is very much a work in progress but it is keeping me occupied and away from the shops spending money I cannot afford. The charity shops are going to do well too! It is also keeping me away from the tv and all the depressing news.

I am finding treasures as I go, drawings made by the kids when they were little and now destined for the scapbooking file, a clay heart with "I love you Mummy" imprinted on it, first pairs of shoes, all now sorted where I can find them. I have also found a plentiful supply of "free samples" of hand cream, shower gels, hair conditioners and so now have a pamper box packed up and ready to cheer Miss C and I up.

I have spent no more on food and we are coping well, yesterday we ate cereal and soya milk for breakfast, homemade vegetable soup for lunch with home made olive bread followed by clementines and easy slow cooker lentil curry and rice for dinner (plenty left and in the freezer for another day). Today we had eggs for breakfast,(plenty in from organic box delivery) cheese, biscuits and apples for lunch and turkey a la king (from the freezer) with rice for dinner.
The lentil curry is very mild and fruity and of its era 1960's. It was very nice and tasty but if like us you prefer something spicier then add more curry. I might try curry paste next time.

Lentil curry
(mild and fruity)
from "Kitchen in the Hills" by Elizabeth West

8oz red lentils (rinsed and soaked for 1 hour)
3 onions - chopped
1 clove garlic - crushed
oil
1 dessertspoon of curry powder
1 pint water
3 apples - peeled and chopped
1 dessertspoon sultanas
1 dessertspoon chutney
1 - 2 bananas - sliced

Heat the oil in a pan and lightly fry the chopped onions, chopped apples and garlic unti soft. Add the curry powder and stir well. Add the lentils and the pint of water and bring up to a steady simmer. Transfer to the slow cooker, adding the sultanas and the chutney. Leave to cook and 15 minutes before serving add the sliced banana. Makes about 6 portions

1 comment:

arkonite_babe said...

catz, would you like to come and declutter for me please? I need a serious kick to get motivated *sigh*