Tuesday 30 December 2008

Turkey a la King recipe

For the last 30 odd years, this is one of the regular ways we have used up the leftover Christmas turkey! If I have enough turkey I make double the quantity and freeze some away for a later treat. It is Mr C's fav after Christmas meal and I would be in a ton of trouble if I didn't have a good excuse for not making it! Seriously it is yummy, can be made with chicken instead and we use both paprika and nutmeg together. Anyway as requested here is the recipe taken from my very old Good Housekeeping Book - a brilliant cookbook I would be lost without!

Turkey a la King

50g/2oz butter
100g/4oz sliced mushrooms
½ green pepper, chopped
40g/1 ½ oz flour
400ml/ ¾ pint milk or milk and chicken stock mixed together
225 -350g/8 – 12oz diced cooked turkey
Salt and pepper
Paprika or ground nutmeg
15-30ml (1 – 2 tablespoons) sherry (optional)

Melt the butter and fry the mushrooms and pepper until soft.

Stir in the flour, cook for 2 – 3 minutes, remove from the heat and stir in the milk/stock gradually.

Bring the sauce to the boil and continue to stir until it thickens.

Add the turkey and season to taste.

Add the sherry if using.

Serve with boiled rice or noodles.

I have managed to freeze this but stir while de-frosting to stop it splitting.

Our daughter is starting to feel a bit better now, the pain is still there but easier to deal with. Thank goodness for anti-biotics. She has also managed to get some yogurt down her to conteract the ab's side effects. She is still very drained and weak so it will be a quiet New Year around here. We still have so much to be thankful for though. The news is appalling isn't it? All those deaths over the Gaza strip. I pray for peace and would encourage everyone to do the same, if prayer is not your thing then positive thinking as I truly believe in the power of positive thoughts.

2 comments:

Sharon J said...

That sounds delicious. Alas, LM won't eat anything with mushrooms in it. She's such a fuss-pot when it comes to food that it's a nightmare coming up with enough meals in a month to not keep repeating (I get bored of the same old things over and over).

Glad your daughter's feeling a bit better and yes, there's a lot to be said for the power of positive thought :)

Caroline said...

Many thanks for that, Catz - I have saved a copy onto my desktop to try when I'm feeling better. Caroline x