Saturday 27 December 2008

Dents in the allowance already!

Day 2 of my using it up/store cupboard challenge and I have spent some of my £50 allowance already. I intended to stay away from the shops but my daughter has, over the Christmas period, developed raging toothache, so with a long wait until we can get any medical help, we visited Sainsburys as they have a pharmacist, on her advice we now have some more effective painkillers and some oil of cloves to take the edge off the pain. I suspect she has an abcess though, as nothing is really touching it, so we will be off to the hospital later for a late appointment having phoned the emergency number for help. Isn't it just typical that something like this happens over the holidays? Poor girl hasn't been in this much pain since having mumps while at uni! Can you get Mumps again?

While at Sainsburys I hurridly grabbed some meat bargains, not what I expected, all the turkeys had gone but 4 packs of lean braising/casserole steak, reduced to half price so £6.46 instead of £13 and this will make up casseroles for 8 meals by my reckoning, 6 if our daughter joins us.

Earlier today for lunch, we had more of the cheese selection we were given as a gift, with salad, crackers and fruit. This evening we will be having some of the saved beef slices in gravy with roast potatoes and parsnips, steamed carrots and broccoli and yorkshire pudding in the remoska, followed by leftover Christmas pudding and brandy butter. All from stores. Daughter will be having soft food in the form of mash, gravy and some vegetables. Fingers crossed she gets some anti biotics soon!

Total spend so far £6.46
Money left for storecupboard challenge £43.54

7 comments:

Sharon J said...

I remember having raging toothache over Christmas about 15 years ago. One side of my face swelled up like a balloon and we were going to my ex sister-in-law's for Christmas with the whole of my partner's family. You try to enjoy it but it's difficult.

Hopefully your daughter has been to the emergency dentist and got the relief she needs by now. I do feel for her... it's awful at any time, more so at Christmas.

Jennifer said...

How awful. I really hope she gets to feeilng better soon! When I had a stomach virus just before Christmas and when I was only just able to eat solid foods, it was mash for me at tea time.....bless.

jen

Caroline said...

Do hope your daughter feels better soon, Catz, toothache is just horrible. Caroline x

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping your daughter soon feels better - there's nothing worse than toothache, especially at this time of year when there is so much delicious food to scoff, and no dentists open.

Anonymous said...

Oh poor her, I hope it gets sorted quickly, there is nothing worse!

Anonymous said...

gosh - I hope your daughter got some medication - I had to go to A & E this Christmas eve with raging toothache and was so grateful to get 3 lots of medicines to take the edge off the pain. It meant an alcohol-free Christmas (which was a first for me!and hard work at times1) but at least
I got some relief.
Sparkly

Catz said...

Thank you for the good wishes, I will pass them on! She has some strong medication (it was a very bad abcess) and is now sleeping, but once the abcess has gone down, the tooth will have to be taken out - luckily it is at the back and won't show. She will not be able to drink any alcohol but she would rather be out of pain for now!