Tuesday 25 November 2008

Eggless, Fatless Chirstmas Cake!

I was given this recipe by my friends Dad who was diabetic, it is also sugar free but as I add a bit of alcohol mine isn't. It makes a great alternative for the usual richer Christmas cake recipes. It also freezes well.

Here is the recipe:-

6oz Brown flour
3 teaspoons Baking powder
2oz Ground almonds
2 teaspoons Mixed spice
1lb Mixed fruit
4oz Dates
4oz Apricots
Grated rind of an orange or lemon
1/2 pint water (for a Christmas cake, I substitute half the water for Contreau)
2 tablespoons orange juice

Soak the fruit overnight in the liquid. Add the dry ingredients, stirring well, add a little more liquid if needed to give a stiff dropping consistency.

Bake in a lined 2lb loaf tin for approx 1+1/2 hours at 160c, covering with some foil for the last 1/2 hour.

I am going to store mine for a while in greaseproof paper and feed a couple of times with some more contreau. Then I will cover it in marzipan and ice.



Soak the fruit overnight in the liquid



Add the dry ingredients and stir well



Bake in a lined 2lb loaf tin



Leave to cool before wrapping in greaseproof paper, ready to decorate. It looks a bit bumpy but that will soon even out when the marzipan is covering it!

I am trying to do something towards Christmas every day now but have still to make some cards! Most of the presents are bought, thanks mainly to ebay and charity shops/catalogues this year.

3 comments:

sharie said...

Now aren't you organised, mincemeat and Christmas cake already on the go! It will probably occur to me christmas eve that I need these things...

Catz said...

Hi Sharie!

I haven't always been so organised! lol! I used to have Christmas Eves that were the stuff of nightmares, with all to be cooked, presents to be wrapped, young children to be occupied! Now I try to get as much as I can out of the way by December so that I can relax and concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas.

arkonite_babe said...

Oh yum yum, I have to try this recipe over the weekend. I had to throw away a pudding I made earlier as it had moulded really badly, so this will be a nice replacement!!