Tuesday 11 November 2008

Backward thinking!

The photo, at the top of the blog, was the view of the end of our garden, taken this summer, before the wanton destruction of those lovely trees! All for 2 huge half a million houses to be built on the land with tiny little gardens.

Am I alone in thinking that this is backward thinking? Surely as we approach peak oil (or are we there now?) we should be building smaller, more economical to heat, houses with larger gardens, so we can grow as much of our own food as possible! This would make so much more sense but people don't seem to see the signs, they want to live in the past with all it's wasteful, unpractical ways. Crazy world we live in!

If I had that sort of money to spend (sadly I don't) I would be buying in the countryside, an older property maybe, with open fires, a multi fuel range, insulation, solar panels, out houses and a big but managable garden with established fruit trees and room for a large vegetable garden and greenhouses!

Anyway I don't want to speak too soon but things have been quiet on the building site recently! One can only hope! Too late for the poor birds though!

6 comments:

Sharon J said...

It's a sad fact that the majority of people are still more concerned with impressing the Jones' than what's actually good for them (and the rest of us). I have a friend who lives alone in a huge 4 bedroomed house (with en suites in two of them), a lounge the size of a ballroom but a garden the size of a stamp. Definitely backwards and a complete waste of resources for one person to heat up a house that size (no doubt some would say I'm saying this because I'm envious but believe me, I'm not). As you say, they're still being built and people are still buying them so I can't help but wonder whether we'll ever learn.

I'd choose the house you described too :)

Anonymous said...

P and I were looking to buy a house a couple of years ago and the first house we looked at was absolutely gorgeous BUT the garden was teeny tiny. The house was probably built about 10 years ago and there seems to be this trend to build lovely new houses but give them no garden at all. I suppose it is due to the greed of the developers - they just want to cram as many new houses on to a site as possible. It's a terrible shame as who wants to spend a fortune on a detached house and then have to live cheek by jowl with your neighbours?

I would imagine that the builder developing the land by you has done the same as all the developers in Wickford - mothballed the site until the housing market picks up again. Shame he cut the trees down so quickly though - I always enjoy looking at your header photo.

Anonymous said...

yes, I like your house idea too. I don't ever want a huge house with lots of rooms. I'd take outside space over inside any day!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so very very sad.

sharie said...

I feel your pain at the loss of these trees..
Not far from me now they built over 250 houses on what was previously gree belt land despite protests by the locals. I used to walk through those fields as a child and stand watching the farmer ploughing them up, full of birds and wildlife it was but all gone cos of a greedy council.

Why do people live in big houses with no garden? Beats me. Everytime I move and ask an estate agent to only send me details of houses with a big garden they look at me as if I am bonkers. When I went to put my house on the market they even told me my big garden was a disadvantage!

Sharon J said...

Hi Catz. Just thought I'd let you know that I tagged you on this post: