Sunday 12 October 2008

To Spay or not to spay that is the question!



This little cutie is Penny our cockapoo at just 3 weeks old! She was initially booked by someone else and they cancelled! Can you believe it? I think it might have been because her markings aren't so desirable! So we stepped in. Their loss is our gain, she is so cute and has since grown into a lovely affectionate pet and companion. We have to make a decision soon as to whether or not to have her spayed - a sensible move we feel as the "local lads" are getting a tad friendly! Now if one of the local lads was another lovable cockapoo it would be very tempting - our vetinary nurse and Penny's groomer have both expressed an interest if she has puppies because of her wonderful temperament, also we would love to keep one for ourselves and for Penny. We have bought various books and I remember my Nana bred airedales and red setters but I have no experience in these matters. Mr C really wants her to have a litter but I am holding back, possibly not just my lack of experience here but also we are living in uncertain times financially, it feels a bit irresponsible really if you understand what I mean.

I have also been reading that already there are lovely dogs out there needing homes because of the global financial crisis and that is heartbreaking. Perhaps we could give a poodle/doodle dog a home? Yes I think I have made the right decision - she should be spayed! and soon!

In the meantime I am still in pain, seems like the antibiotics haven't worked :( so I guess I had better go see the dr again soon as possible. Hope you are all coping with the latest "interesting" developments, wasn't the expression "May you live in interesting times" meant as a curse? Chin up everyone, my Dad used to say "worse happens at sea" well he was in the merchant navy during WWII. Thank goodness we have cleared most of our debt (just the mortgage left now) and those of us who have started on the simple living way of life should be able to cope, I certainly pray that that is so.

4 comments:

Leanne said...

As a registered breeder of cats I would say Spay.
There is hidden expenses with breeding - an after hour vet call out is not nice & a lot of work to & money to raise an animal well. Something as pet quality you wouldn't be able to recoup your costs.

I too am greatful we got off the bus years ago & have been living frugal. Wish we had planted an orchard earlier tho & bigger vege garden but well we are now GRIN.

Love Leanne

Sharon J said...

My little terrier had pups (accident) and although there were fun times watching the pups grow and develop, it was hard work with a considerable amount of stress.

Also, doing it for Penny herself isn't a good reason. Dogs aren't like humans - the pups grow up and they're glad to see the backs of them. They really don't care about them at all after a certain age and you could actually find that they'll fight and cause even more stress for you and for themselves.

I'd definitely go with spaying but if you do decide to breed, one thing I would say is make sure you have takers for at least 6 pups BEFORE you present her to a male.

Catz said...

@ Leanne - yes we too wish we had planted more fruit trees when we moved here! we have now but they are babies still. In a few years maybe we will get enough apples to make a pie or two lol!

@ Sharon & Leanne - Thank you! I guess I was just thinking out loud but had already decided to have her spayed. Mr C is just an old softie and hasn't really thought about all the hassle. I think if the right "rescue" dog came along at a later date then we will carefully consider another doggie companion. We have experienced a litter of kittens being born here about 15 years ago, and cute though they were, I do remember how much energy I needed once those 5 little terrors were getting into everything! Happy memories though!

Sharon J said...

Just thought I'd nip back and mention another thing - spaying lowers the risk of bitches getting breast cancer. My girl had to have a breast removed because of it and believe me, it was soooooo scary and I so wished then that I'd had her spayed.