Tuesday 21 October 2008

Keeping warm - Lap quilts from the junk pile

Sorry I have been away for a while, I needed to recuperate from the pleurisy and damaged chest cartilege and also get used to a new low salt diet. All is well, I managed to walk Penny all the way around the field today which is a first for quite a while. I am now very determined to improve my fitness levels as they are so very bad :( Anyway apart from lots of reading, this is what I have been up to today,

Making lap quilts from junk



Well almost junk! This tatty old double quilt was destined for the bin, surplus to requirements since Miss C moved back in and used the better quilt that we already had for her bed. Thanks to Moneysaving Experts Old style board, an excellent resource for all those trying to save money at home, I found this idea for how to keep warm on a tight budget. First I cut the quilt in 2 lengthways (a single duvet cover will then be the right length and you will only have to adjust the width)- this also means that after I have finished the sewing they will fit into my washing machine for a good old clean. I then overlocked the edges of the duvet on my sewing machine.




Then I found 2 old single duvet covers no longer required, after measuring for the lap quilts, I cut off the surplus material, leaving enough for generous seam allowances.




I turned the cut down duvet covers inside out, pinned and overlocked the edges




Just don't look too closely at the stitching, lol! So long as the stitching holds it will do as it will be out of sight. turn the covers right side out and fill with the 2 small lap quilts.


Really easy and lovely and warm on the arm chair, 1 under and 1 over! Unless Mr C insists on one! :)




I have two of these lengths left over, cushion covers?

7 comments:

Geraldo Maia said...

Hello Catz,
It is a great pleasure to visit your nice and interesting blog for the first time.
Best wishes from Brazil:
Geraldo

Catz said...

Thank you Geraldo! I enjoyed looking at the fab photos on your blog. Cheered me up while we are going into a cold winter!

sharie said...

Good idea. I use a furry throw during chilly evenings, it also doubles up as a blanket on the bed, keeping my back warm at night.

Anonymous said...

WOW!

You have talent! What a great idea!

Catz said...

I am certainly staying warmer now when I am watching the tv!

Jennifer said...

Great idea Catz! Maybe a draught excluder with the leftover fabric? Or a couple of wheat bags with dried lavender in it?

take care
Jennifer

Catz said...

Oh great idea Jennifer! Might make them rice bags though and forego the lavender for something else (allergic to lavender)