Sunday 12 October 2008

Help is at hand!

There is a new blog on the block http://simple-green-frugal-co-op.blogspot.com/ started by Rhonda Jean over at Down to Earth, Rhonda and several other excellent bloggers from around the world, who are part of the simple living arena including our own uk based Frugal Trenches, are going to be adding pieces to help us through these uncertain times.

I was so pleased to discover this important resource, as I no longer have my Mum to ask, boy would she have been good to have around right now, she grew up during the depression years, married at the end of the war, had her babies during the rationing years and was a superb manager on very low funds. There was no such thing as unplanned leftovers in her kitchen either, surplus vegetables became soup, the odd spoonful or two of curry became some tasty curry puffs, stale bread was transformed into bread and butter pudding, 1 egg fed the whole family when she made Poor knights pudding - basically jam sandwiches dipped in one egg batter and fried with a little bit of sugar sprinkled on the top!

Something else I must do is get back to sewing, once I made a beach wrap from an old bath towel and a smock dress (it was the 70's and height of fashion at the time lol) from one of my aunts 1950's dirndil (very full) skirts. Mum would never buy new material if there was something around that could be re-purposed! Once she even made our winter coats from old army blankets! Even our old terry towelling nappies were sewn up with a bit of elastic at the top, into "training pants". For knitting, our old jumpers were taken apart, unravelled, the wool washed, dried, re-wound and knitted up into other items of clothing or toys. She did all of this without us ever feeling poor or that we were missing out and in their later years they managed to buy their own house and collect a few nice pieces of furniture, always by saving up the money, they were very wary of getting into debt. You can see why I would love to have her around right now can't you!

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Hello Catz
I also found the new blog this morning - looks like it could be very interesting
Take care
Cathy

Sharon J said...

What a shame we can't keep our mums forever, but the memory of yours obviously lives on, clear and strong. She sounds as if she was a wonderful, strong woman.

My mum isn't quite as resourceful as yours was but she's still a good source of inspiration and information to me. It was her who first made me realise that even though I'm on a low income, I CAN save and get rid of my debt and have a few luxuries along the way. And she's so incredibly supportive of everything I do that I feel very blessed to have her.

Catz said...

@ Cathy - The site looks like a great idea doesn't it? Love your post on sport! a refreshing change from all the news!

@ Sharon - It is when you realise how little our Mums had to manage on that you realise that yes it can be done, with a little courage and ingenuity (which I know you have in shed loads!)

homelessaura said...

Hello Catz,

I work on the mid-morning programme at BBC Essex. We are doing some features with thrifty Essex people and you seem to be one of them. We only started doing this last week and had Elizabeth Yule from Wickford on and she has recommended you on her blog.

If you could give me a call on 01245 616045, that would be lovely.

Best wishes


Leona Murray-Green
BBC Essex

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the mention! Your mum sounds like a very very special woman!

sharie said...

Found your blog, lurked and am enjoying it.
I agree witht he other posters comments about keeping our mums forever - not long since I lost mine who never let anything go to waste. Something I rebelled against as a teenager but now have learned better, especially with the testing times!
I think in the near future there are a lot of people going to find out how to 'make do and mend' by necessity.

Caroline said...

Mmmmm, I might just give Poor Knights' Pudding a try later, Catz - it sounds yummy! Caroline x

Catz said...

Hello Leona!

I will have to say sorry no can do I am afraid. Just out of hospital as amongst other things (coughing with pleurisy) bp is rather high. I think an interview would send it sky high! thrilled to be asked though, thank you! I will listen in though.

@ Frugal - You deserve the mention! Believe me! Yes my Mum was very special!

Thank you sharie - (((((Hugs)))) You don't really realise how much you are going to miss them until they are gone!
Yes I think you are right, the tide is turning and our Mums ways are going to be back in fashion whether folk like it or not!

Caroline - Enjoy! I though about making it with cherry jam, yum.

Roxie said...

Your reflections of your mother reminds me of mine. I miss her very much. I am the eighth of eight children. My parents too were from the depression time. My father worked 3 jobs sometimes and two all the time to support the family. He told my mother he wanted her to be home because no one could raise their children like she could. As I read Down To Earth and all the other like blogs, (that I love reading), it reminds me of the things my mother did till she died at 86. Even with money in her later years, she never wasted. Was always frugal, but never poor. We grew up with my mother telling us we were rich and blessed by God.

Catz said...

Roxie - Sounds like your Mum was a really special lady! (((hugs))) Yes I miss my Mum so much as well! I feel I keep her close whenever I remember and do some of the frugal things she did.