Wednesday 15 October 2008

Organic box delivery



Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Aubergine
Loads of curly kale
Apples
Pears
Bananas
1/2 dozen organic eggs

We have leftover chicken casserole tonight with mash, runner beans (from garden) and steamed curly kale.

I treated myself to an old fashioned 3 tier steamer today so the kale was cooked above the potatoes. Mum gave me an electric steamer many years ago, which has been used a lot, but now, like many other folk, I have to cut back on fuel usage so this will get a lot of use.

Not sure what to do with the aubergine as I have to cut back my salt intake dramatically owing to high blood pressure, we love moussaka (made with soya mince) so may have a go at that without salting the aubergine slices.

More bananas means lovely warming bananas and hot custard yum! and easy too!

The apples will go into an apple crumble cake, a really easy Delia Smith recipe

Make a plain victoria sponge mix and put into a greased cake tin. Peel and thinly slice a large apple and lay over the top of the sponge cake mix. Make a crumble mix (4ox plain flour, 2oz marge/butter, 2oz sugar) and sprinkle over the top. A small sprinkling of cinnamon mixed into the crumble mix is wonderful. Cook in a moderate oven 180C - test with a skewer until it comes out clean.
Serve on its own or with custard.

7 comments:

Leanne said...

Hi

It would be really interesting to know how much you pay for your organic pack so we could compare prices with NZ.

Love Leanne

Anonymous said...

It all sounds soo wonderful. Fancy dinner @ mine? You provide of course ;)

Cathy said...

Hello Catz
I'm curious about your 'Organic Box' of fruit and veg as I've seen others refering to them as well. Do you choose whats in it or just accept what comes?
Take care
Cathy

Sharon J said...

I checked the organic veg box website you gave me the pointer to (can't think of the name right now) but it meant the veg had too many carbon miles behind it for my liking. But never mind, I've finally found a really nice farm shop that has a huge range of fresh veg (some organic, some not), eggs, cheese, milk, grains, oils and all sorts of lovely things so I shall be making at least at fortnightly visit from now on. Am off there this Friday and am quite excited about it (fancy getting excited about buying veg!)

ramtops said...

My veg box for this week is here.

I never salt aubergine for moussaka - I just fry the slices in olive oil and lob them on.

Anonymous said...

salting aubergines is quite an old technique, and these days aubergines have been bred that salting isn't really necessary. i've made moussaka a number of times and not salted them.

Also, if you've health issues, you could do a lot worse than to look at The CottageSmallholder's veggie moussaka recipe. it does what it says on the tin - will satisfy even the hardest carnivore! give it a go anyway: http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/?p=539 - enjoy!!!

Catz said...

Hi Leanne! I pay £10.90 for the fruit and veg box, I think looking at your delivery that you do better in New Zealand! It is enough for us though!

Lol frugal - always room for 1 more at our table

Cathy - You are allowed favourites and dislikes which we find very helpful as I really don't like jerusalem artichoes!

Sharon - yes that can be a bit of a problem, Abel and Cole don't air freight anything though and I would imagine are more greener than the supermarkets. Our nearest local organic farms box deliveries were really quite bad, full of rotten produce whereas A & C produce have always been very good, customer service is good too!

Thanks ramtops - I avoided the salt and chopped and lobbed them into a vegetable lasagne in the end.

Kethry - I am off to find that site right now! Thank you for that!