Friday 5 March 2010

Clearing out the old!

Now this is something I have had great difficulties with! I wonder if others have found the same? We have spent today making a start on clearing out our loft space. We moved into this house in 1983 and within a year had a new addition to the family in the shape of our daughter. Anything remaining unpacked was quickly added to the growing pile in the loft. As each year passed by more was added and less taken out. I found it difficult to part with reminders of the past! Result - chaos!!!!!

Recently a friend was telling me that a major leak had ocurred in their loft space and totally ruined all that was stored up there! Enough!I cried, and decided that this week with husband off work, we should start clearing the loft. Today was the first day and we have already cleared about 1/4 of the loft space. 2 trips to our local Help the Aged charity shop ensued followed by another 2 trips to the dump (I have recycled everything else to within an inch of it's life I promise you!) Apart from pulled and aching muscles we both already feel so much better and all the keener to tackle the rest of the loft space! Hoping to find enough to inspire me to start selling on ebay and amazon so that we can put some pennies aside for the next wedding in the family!

By the end of next week I could be crying out for mercy and over-dosing on ralgex but it must be done! Tomorrow I have a few hours off though, as I am on a youth leaders course, run by our Church. Ah! bliss!

6 comments:

Kadeeae said...

It is a hard job 'clearing out', just don't overdo! We just got you back on the blog front! ;-)

Just a note, I send most all of our "excess" to Help The Aged/Age Concern....would you have a look at THIS post on my blog and comment if you've had anything like this happen?

Thanks Cat;-)

Sharon J said...

Blimey, now you've got me thinking about my loft and all the stuff I have up there. Apart from all the junk, there's all the stuff that I'd be devastated to lose. Photos of the kids when they were little, pictures they've drawn and all sorts of other things.

One problem, though. I just don't have the energy or strength to clear out the loft. Sigh.

apieceofwood said...

Upon moving into this house, we said no crap in the loft, so the only things up their are the Christmas tree / decs, suitcases, a bay of stuffed toys and a box of photos!

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back!!

Catz said...

kadeeae - Yep it is very hard going! Off to look at your post in a min

Sharon - That is exactly why we have decided to sort it out, in case there comes a time whan we can't and the kids have to do it! Could your family fetch you down a few bags at a time to sort?

apieceofwood - Wow! wish we had been that sensible!

Notes-Thank you!

Sharon J said...

We did a bit last year but there's so much up there and when it comes down there's nowhere to put it all. I really must find a place to keep all the photos safe though and get those down. I'd cry if I lost those.