Tuesday 31 March 2009

Use it up Challenge for April



Now I know you can buy frozen peppers fairly cheaply, but this one was an organic pepper, left over and forgotten about, languishing at the back of the fridge. I almost threw it away as it was starting to get soft but thought better of it, chopped it up and popped it into the freezer. It will a great little extra for adding to a quiche or a stew later on. A whole organic pepper would cost about 70p so half an organic pepper must have saved 35p being thrown into the bin!

It got me thinking about all the "stuff" we just take for granted and throw into the bin and add to our over full landfills. I don't know about you but I am feeling very ashamed of all I have thrown out in the past. We have been so very lucky in this country but we cannot afford to take that for granted.

So to get me into a new and more thankful state of mind, I am starting a "Use it Up challenge" for April and am going to list (and hopefully post photos)of all the "stuff" I will save from landfill. Anyone want to join me? Just post a comment about what you are doing or blog about it if you have a blog. I know a lot of you are already doing this but together we can start to make changes and maybe raise awareness.
Use it up savings - 35p

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Excellent idea - count me in.

Catz said...

Wonderful Elizabeth! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This is a fabby idea. I don't know how successful i'll be on this one, but i'll give it a go!!

keth
xx

Anonymous said...

p.s. is it only food items this applies to or is it anything kept out of landfill?

Catz said...

Hello Keth! Welcome aboard! Anything kept out of landfill is included. Today I am saving an old sheet and making it into dusters. So not just food.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cat!! I think, though, that working out the value of some of the stuff we keep out of landfill is going to be difficult. Your dusters, for example, or toilet roll inners.. I'm going to sow some peas later, using those. cost? no idea! This is going to be fun!

Kadeeae said...

Ooo a challenge! :-)

I'll give it a try, I know I've been doing much better lately about using things I would have previously thrown away, but remembering to make a note of it will be the biggest challenge, lol.

Oh, and glad you're 'back'!

Catz said...

@ Kethry - yes it could prove difficult to cost the savings, I am just guessing a roundabout figure out of interest. Love your idea of putting up a list! Might do the same.
@ Kadeeae - Wonderful to have you join in! Yes I don't normally make a note of what I do so this will be interesting to say the least! Thanks I am very glad to be back!