Tuesday 8 September 2009

Yes there is such a thing as a free lunch!



Today Mr C decided to come home for his lunch and requested soup. Luckily the "freezer fairy" (as in tightwad Gazette) was full to brimful with all sorts of odds and ends (celery ends, cooked potatoes, half a tin of tomatoes, runner beans, half an onion, half a fresh tomato), so I tipped it all into a saucepan, adding some chopped spring onions that needed using up and a tub of stock from the freezer (yipee more space) simmered until soft, seasoned and then blitzed in the food processor.

Please excuse the state of my cooker, but it has been in almost constant use now it is chutney season! It has since been cleaned:)



Further exploration of the freezer resulted in some lovely tomato and herb bread, left from our last visit to the farmers market, which went down very well with the soup. We had ice cream for afters (left and rescued from the family barbecue a week ago) all items I, sadly, would have thrown away years ago, so a free and tasty lunch. What a blessing!

Needless to say the freezer fairy (an old tupperware lidded jug) is clean and ready for use again!

Breakfast- hm muesli and soya yogurt, tea

mid morning snack - a lovely orange from last weeks organic box

Lunch - as above hm soup, tomato and herb bread, ice cream

Afternoon snack - 2 little kit kat eggs (from apoproved foods - naughty but nice) tea

Dinner - hm veggie lasagne and salad - from garden and bottom of the fridge, hm fruit salad

5 a day - dried fruit, orange, various veg in hm soup, courgettes and tomatoes in lasagne, garden salad, hm fruit salad (mango, blackberries, apple, pears)

The approved food order has just turned up so I now have curry paste to last a good long time, organic carrots, dog toys (for Christmas gifts for friends pooches) cake mixes, sweeties for cake decorating, Christmas cake frills, fruit teas and coffees for Mr C! This was paid for on Wednesday last week!

Other than going out briefly to walk Penny on her first walk after the op (round the block) I have not been anywhere to spend any money! So no spend day

7 comments:

Kadeeae said...

Free! A favourite word, lol

No worries on the cooker, a messy cooker is the sign of a happy home. Least in my book ;-)

Caroline said...

There's something very satisfying about using up odds and ends to make something tasty, isn't there, Catz?

Anonymous said...

Aren't soups like that wonderful? Love your menu!

Kadeeae said...

Hiya Catz-

It's felt ages since I saw an update in my RSS feeds from you and just wanted you to know I miss your posts and hope you and yours are well.

If you're not 'back' before, I hope you have a Happy Christmas and wish only good things for your 2010.

All the best~~
K

Kadeeae said...

Just me again :-(

Hope you are all right, thought I'd check in to see if you were posting again.

Take care

Catz said...

Hello! I am still around! Sorry have made a few big changes in my life and am still re jigging my time and energy! Will get back to blogging very soon. I have just started another one to record my Christian journey.

Kadeeae said...

Oh good, you're ok then! :-)

Glad of that and that you'll be returning.

All the best~