Monday 18 May 2009

Best before but cheaper after!



I recently made an order to Approved foods, a company which sells food approaching it's best before date. The saving can be incredible - all the above for £20 plus delivery of £5.25
I haven't found anything bad yet, the tins of oats (50p each) are just the right size for when I make up a batch of muesli, The dates (£2.50) are delicious and yes that is a box of 3kg (I am going to be busy baking for a while!) The most expensive things overall are the dental sticks for Penny as I order quite a few (60p for a packet of 3- I ordered 10) and break them into halves for her. The orange juice (3 bottles of £1) is lovely and we are fast using that up! Haven't tried the spicy tomato ketchup yet.

I know more and more folk are looking at buying this way, it is a cheap way to fill up the shelves, what do you think? Worth the savings or a step too far? It does of course keep the stuff out of the landfill!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea to me. I'm all for using up food rather than having it end up in landfill.

If you're ever near Barleylands (between Billericay and Wickford),I can highly recommend the Barleylands Farm Shop which sells pretty much anything you can think of at amazingly cheap prices as most of their products are near to their sell-by date. We've had some fantastic bargains there lately and the place does a wonderful trade.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting that, Catz - I'm off to have a little look around their website now.

Kadeeae said...

There are usually a lot of items that are past their best by date, but that doesn't mean they aren't ok to use. Too many people throw items out thinking it means they are no longer safe to eat. :-(

I've looked on the site several times in the past few months and it seemed to me that there was a lot of not so healthy, treat type stuff - possibly I've just looked at the wrong times as their stock changes quite regularly.

Catz, you're not a member of the MSE site are you? lol That's where I heard about them :-)

Kadeeae said...

Hope all is well, have been missing your posts! :-)